Le Cordon Bleu Logo

Admission Criteria

  • What are the admission criteria?

    Culinary Arts Programmes
    The admission criteria for all Cuisine, Pastry and Boulangerie programmes are as follow:

    You must be at least 18 years of age, have a Baccalaureate or equivalent, except for the “Diploma in Pâtisserie Innovation & Wellness”, which is open to students who have graduated with a Le Cordon Bleu Diplôme de Pâtisserie, or a French Pastry CAP. This programme is also open to those with a minimum of one year of professional experience in the pastry field. Admission is based on application file.

    Having a B2 level in English or an A2 level in French Accepted language tests and score/level correspondence

    Diploma in Culinary Management: this programme is open to students who have graduated with a Le Cordon Bleu Grand Diplôme®, Diplôme de Cuisine, Diplôme de Pâtisserie or equivalent, or those with significant professional experience in cuisine or pastry.

    Management Programmes:
    The admission criteria for all the Bachelor of Business - Wine & Management programmes are as follows: you must be at least 18 years of age at the beginning of the programme, have a Baccalaureate or equivalent and your level of English must be 5.5 in the IELTS test or 63 in the TOEFL IBT test.

    The admission procedure consists of a first stage, during which the eligibility of your application is examined, and a second admission stage, with an interview via Teams or on-site. 

  • Which documents are required?

    -    An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae 
    -    A cover letter (approximately 500 words) 
    -    A photocopy of proof of identity 
    -    A digital passport photo
    -    Certificate(s), Diploma(s), and transcripts of grades (for Bachelor programmes only), including those taken at Le Cordon Bleu, if applicable 
    -    Certificate(s), Diploma(s), and transcripts of grades for students who have previously studied at a Le Cordon Bleu institute
    -    A medical certificate signed by a doctor

  • Do the documents need to be translated into French?

    Documents must be in French or English. Please note that most Campus France locations will ask international students who require a student visa to provide official translations of documents by a sworn translator. 

  • Do I need to speak French to study at Le Cordon Bleu Paris institute?

    Classes are taught in French and consecutively translated into English, therefore speaking French is not essential. However, students taking the Internship Pathway must have reached level A2 in French at the end of professional application to be able to carry out an internship.

    To help its students learn French and fully immerse themselves in French culture, Le Cordon Bleu Paris has chosen to partner with GlobalExam, a training platform for preparing for language certifications in French. 

    All students registered at Le Cordon Bleu Paris institute can take advantage of a preferential rate.

  • Do I need prior knowledge of the culinary arts before registering?
    No prior knowledge or experience in the culinary field is necessary. Most of our students come from very different fields, and many want to retrain or change career.
  • What is the deadline for registering for a programme?

    There is no registration deadline, however, due to the success of our programmes, we strongly advise submitting your application at least 6 months before the programme, you wish to take, is due to begin.

Payment of tuition fees

  • What are the different means of payment?

    Le Cordon Bleu Paris works with Flywire to provide an easy and secure means of payment in your currency, guaranteeing the best exchange rates and no additional banking fees. Payments are made directly on the Flywire platform, by bank transfer or credit card. 

    Visit lcbparis.flywire.com to get started. 

  • Can I pay my tuition fees in instalments?

    Payment can be made in instalments, but full tuition fees must have been paid at least 8 weeks before Culinary Arts programmes begin and at least 12 weeks before Management programmes begin.

  • Is there a funding scholarship?

    Le Cordon Bleu Paris does not award a scholarship.

Choosing a programme

  • Can I complete only part of a diploma?

    You can register for the Basic Cuisine and/or Basic Pastry Certificate. This will give you excellent foundations and then, depending on your availability and the availability of the programme, you can register for the Intermediate and Superior certificates and graduate with a Diplôme. 
    It is important to be aware, however, that a discount in tuition fees only applies to students who register for a Culinary Arts “Diplôme”.

  • Do I need to choose between Cuisine and Pastry?

    You can take both disciplines simultaneously. To do so, you need to choose the “Grand Diplôme”. This extremely intensive 9-month programme includes both the Diplôme de Cuisine and the Diplôme de Pâtisserie, after which you will be awarded the Grand Diplôme.

    If you decide to take an intensive session, rather than a standard one, you can only take one discipline at a time.  

  • Can I follow Basic Cuisine and Intermediate Pastry at the same?
    No, only Cuisine and Pastry classes at the same level can be taken simultaneously.
  • What is the difference between a standard and an intensive session?

    Le Cordon Bleu’s Cuisine and Pastry programmes can be taken in standard or intensive format.


    If you have limited time, you can take the Diplôme de Cuisine or Diplôme de Pâtisserie during an intensive session. The programme content is identical to that of a standard session, but the number of hours of classes per day is greater enabling you to graduate with your Diplôme in 6 months rather than 9. Due to the number of hours, two intensive sessions cannot be taken simultaneously.


  • Can I choose my timetable?

    Students’ timetables are determined in line with teaching requirements and cannot be modified or adapted.

  • What time do classes take place?

    Cuisine and Pastry
    Classes are either 3-hour demonstrations or practical classes and take place between 7.30 am and 10 pm, depending on the timetable:

    Cuisine Certificate (standard session): 15h to 17h of classes per week
    Cuisine Certificate (intensive session): 30h to 34h of classes per week
    Pastry Certificate (standard session): 14h to 16h of classes per week
    Pastry Certificate (intensive session): 28h to 32h of classes per week

    Classes are 6-hour workshops and either take place between 7.30 am and 2 pm or between 2 pm and 8 pm, depending on the timetable.

    Wine & Management Diploma: classes usually begin at 9.15 am and finish at between 4 pm and 5 pm.

  • When is the timetable available?

    Culinary Arts programmes: class times are available one month before classes begin and are subject to modification.

  • Do some classes take place during the evening or on a Saturday?

    Culinary Arts programmes: depending on the organisation of the institute, some classes may exceptionally take place in the evening and/or on a Saturday.


    Wine & Management Diploma students take part in compulsory events which may take place on a Saturday.

  • Can I work alongside my programme at the institute?

    Many students work whilst training to finance their studies and gain experience. Working in addition to studying is only possible if a student is extremely organised and has a flexible employer.

    International students must be in possession of a Student Long-Stay Visa serving as a Residence Permit (VLS-TS).

    A Student residence permit entitles you to carry out a secondary salaried activity during your studies in France (totalling no more than 964 hours per year). You do not need a work permit. Your employer must declare your employment to the prefecture. There are, however, 3 exceptions in which case you must request a work permit: you are Algerian, you need to work for longer than the authorised amount of time, or you have a temporary 6-month visa.

    For further information on visas: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/venir-en-france/


  • Are there any rules governing absences?

    Students must be present and punctual for all classes. If a student fails to comply with the internal rules governing attendance, the certificate or Diploma may not be awarded. For further details, please consult the institute’s internal rules. 

  • How are students assessed?

    Culinary Arts programmes:  assessment is based on a combination of continuous assessment and end of year examinations.

Everyday Life

  • Visa and Residence permit
    • How do I apply for a Visa? 

      For detailed information about a Visa for France, please contact the embassy or consulate in your country of residence, or by internet at the following address: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr/fr/venir-en-france/etudier-en-france/demarches-administratives/ 
      Visa requirements are likely to change, and it is the student’s responsibility to take all necessary steps to obtain relevant travel authorisations or visas, and to ensure that they are in possession of a passport which is valid for the duration of the chosen programme. 

    • What are the conditions for obtaining a Student visa?

      You must be registered for a programme which lasts over 3 months to apply for a Student Long-Stay Visa serving as a Residence Permit (VLS-TS).
      To apply for a student visa, please contact CAMPUS France: http://www.campusfrance.org/fr/

      We strongly recommend beginning the visa application process 2 to 3 months before your departure as the time it takes to obtain a visa can vary from one country to another. 
      Important: Please note that the official certificate of registration from Le Cordon institute is a prerequisite for applying for a visa at the French Consulate or for renewing a Student residence permit.

      Please note: the Long-Stay Visa serving as a Residence Permit (VLS-TS) is both a visa and a residence permit which allows you to enter the country and stay for one year.  You must validate your VLS-TS with the ANEF within 3 months of your arrival. ANEF is the website of the Ministry of the Interior on which applications and renewals of residence permits can be made online. 

    • Does Le Cordon Bleu handle applications/renewals of residence permits?

      The institute does not handle applications/renewals of residence permits. Applying to renew a residence permit is done online on the ANEF portal, 3 months before the Long-Stay Visa serving as a Residence Permit (VLS-TS) expires. Once on the website, click on: I would like to apply or renew my residence permit.

      Processing residence permit applications takes approximately 3 to 4 months. If your visa is near its expiry date when you submit your application, you will receive a receipt once your registration has been confirmed so that you can enjoy the same rights as with a residence permit.
  • Accomodation
    • Are there any estate agents you recommend?

      Below are a few estate agents near the institute. These are just a few examples to help with your search. Le Cordon Bleu accepts no liability.

      Renting studios and apartments with our partner PARIS-HOSPITALITY
      Contact: Pascal Bronstein Tel: + 33 (0) - Email: lcb@paris-hospitality.com
      Languages spoken: French, English, Spanish, Russian, Turkish

      Homestay with a French family with ATOME
      Contact: Jeanne or Frédérique Tel: + 33 (0) - Email: contact@atomeparis.com
      Languages spoken: French, English Looking for a room with Colivys Tel: + 33 (0)1 84 80 69 96
      Email: contact@colivys.com
      Languages spoken: French, English

      Renting studios and apartments with PARISIAN HOME
      Email: reservation@parisianhome.com
      Languages spoken: French, English

      BE MY NEST - Real estate platform in Paris
      Contact: Claire CHAPPET Tel: +33 (0) - Email: claire@bemynest.com
      Languages spoken: French, English

      MY APARTMENT IN PARIS – Housing agency
      43 rue de Fleurus, 75006 Paris Landline: +33 (0).
      Languages spoken: French, English

    • Which documents are required when looking for accommodation?

      Below is a non-exhaustive list of documents which may be required when looking for accommodation. Every landlord has different requirements, but the process will be easier if you have prepared these documents in advance.
      - A photocopy of proof of identity (identity card, passport etc.)
      - A residence permit for non-EU students
      - A RIB (bank account details) of the bank account you have opened in France
      - A letter of undertaking from your guarantor
      - A photocopy of proof of identity of your guarantor
      - Proof of income of your guarantor
      - Le Cordon Bleu Paris institute certificate of registration 

    • I don’t have a guarantor in France, who can help me?

      The VISALE guarantee (garantie VISALE) is a free rental deposit solution for students under 30 years of age, which can be used for private rentals and student accommodation. You can register online and begin the process as soon as you have received your visa allowing you to enter the territory, so that you are covered by the VISALE guarantee when you start looking for accommodation upon arrival in France. Further information about VISALE can be found on the Campus France page. Students over 30 years of age can use the fee-based Garantme guarantee which provides a guarantor for your accommodation application file. 

    • Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of?

      Beware of rent which is too low or offers which seem too good to be true. Never send your application until you have visited an apartment, especially when you are contacted by email, and never pay any money before you have visited the apartment and read the rental agreement. When going through the inventory, check that everything in the apartment is working correctly and note down anything which is missing or not working correctly. You have several days to modify the signed inventory. A deposit for apartments in Paris is usually one or two months’ rent, which is returned to you at the end of your contract if your apartment is returned in good condition.

    • Am I entitled to housing benefits?

      All students renting accommodation are entitled to housing benefits. These are paid by the French benefits office (CAF) and known as Personalised Housing Assistance (APL - Aide Personnalisée au Logement). The amount depends on how much rent you pay, the size of your accommodation, the number of tenants or sub-tenants, etc. To check if you are eligible, use the simulator on the CAF website. If eligible, you can apply for APL on the same website. Further details on entitlement to housing benefits can be found here. You can apply as soon as you have a copy of your rental agreement.  

    • Do I need household insurance?

      Yes, occupants must take out household insurance, this ensures you will be reimbursed if you need to make a claim, or encounter any other problems covered by the insurance contract. All student insurance companies, some banks, and private insurance companies offer household insurance. We strongly advise asking for quotes from different insurers to compare the conditions which suit you the best. For further details, you can visit the HEYME website, a specialist in student insurance, and take advantage of a preferential rate as a Le Cordon Bleu student.
  • Health
    • Do I need French health insurance?

      Membership of the social security system is compulsory for all foreign students under 28 years of age, who come to France to study in higher education for more than three months. However, the conditions for membership vary depending on the student's nationality and age. Register online on the Ameli website to get your Carte Vitale. You can also take out supplementary private health insurance.
      Students over 28 years of age must take out private health insurance. This can be French or foreign, but must cover accidents, illnesses, and civil liability internationally for the duration of your time at the institute and during any internship(s). Proof of insurance may be required to obtain a visa.
      Students taking a programme lasting under three months are obliged to take out private health insurance.

    • Is social security membership free?

      Yes, social security membership is free and compulsory for all students in France, whether French or foreign. Social Security enables you to be reimbursed for part of your medical expenses as soon as you are registered at Le Cordon Bleu institute.

    • What are the stages of applying for membership?

      When you arrive in France, you must register on the Ameli platform dedicated to foreign students by providing the necessary supporting documentation (registration certificate for the academic year or student card, proof of identity, student visa, etc.), you will then receive a provisional certificate of entitlement which will enable you to be reimbursed for your medical expenses. Once your file has been validated, you will receive a final certificate of entitlement with a final entitlement number which is your social security number. The social security number enables you to apply for a Carte Vitale (which means you are reimbursed immediately when you consult a health professional and buy medication).

    • In concrete terms, what reimbursements am I entitled to?

      The cost of consultations and therefore reimbursements varies depending on the doctor’s discipline (GP or specialist) and the sector in which they practise (1 or 2). For further information, please refer to the Ameli Reimbursements page. Reimbursements can be supplemented by additional healthcare cover or private insurance, which are private, fee-based organisations.

      Taking out private insurance is not compulsory but strongly recommended, particularly in the case of substantial health expenses (dental, optical, hospitalisation).

      For further information, you can visit the HEYME website, a specialist in student insurance, and take advantage of a preferential rate as a Le Cordon Bleu student.
  • Banks
    • Are there any banks you recommend?

      Below are several banks near the institute.

      Paris Charles Michels SOCIÉTÉ GÉNÉRALE 
      5 Place Charles Michels 75015 Paris 
      Tel: + 33 (0)1 45 77 57 82 
      Justine PINOY : justine.pinoy@socgen.com

      LCL Banque et Assurance – Agence Charles Michels
      11 Place Charles Michels 75015 Paris
      Tel: + 33 (0)1 44 37 18 61 Magali MOUCHARD : magali.mouchard@lcl.fr Hélène MARTIN hélène.martin@lcl.fr Sébastien DEROCHE sébastien.deroche@lcl.fr

      HSBC France Agence Vaugirard
      273, rue de Vaugirard 75015 Paris Tel : + 33 (0)1 53 68 07 06
      Aurore Remion: aurore.remion@hsbc.fr

    • What documents are required by a bank when opening a bank account in France?

      A student visa, proof of address, and a birth certificate translated into French are required to open a bank account. 
  • Is there a metro pass in Paris?

    The city of Paris and the Paris region have a good public transport network: bus, metro, RER, tramway, Transilien trains. Visit the RATP website for tickets and passes. The Imagine'R card is exclusively for students in the Ile-de-France and allows unlimited travel in the whole of the Ile-de-France for under €350 a year.
    You must be under 26 years of age when you apply for the card and show your student card or school certificate for the year in which you are subscribing. You can apply on this website.

  • Services
    • Do support services exist for when I arrive in Paris?

      Campus France provides a range of support for French and international students: https://www.campusfrance.org/fr/villes/paris

    • Do you have a partner who provides support services (telephone, insurance, transport, etc)?

      You can contact our partner, Paris Hospitality, for organising short-stay private insurance, a SIM card and accommodation. 
  • Cost of Living
    • How much money will I need for one week when I arrive?

      We suggest between €200 and €500 for the first week depending on your personal needs and advise using your credit card rather than carrying cash.

    • How much does a taxi from the airport to central Paris cost?

      A taxi journey from the airport to central Paris costs €55-€65. Uber is also available.
  • Life in Paris
    • Is it safe to live in Paris and in France? 

      Paris, like all major cities in the world, has its share of theft and petty crime. However, every possible safety measure is taken in France and Paris to ensure that tourists, expats, and French people are as safe as possible. 
      Paris is, therefore, a safe destination, and will be even safer if you follow a few simple tips which will enable to you travel in complete safety – they apply everywhere, no matter what your destination! For further information: http://www.parisinfo.com/paris-pratique/securite-a-paris/conseils-securite-a-paris

    • Where are the best places to go in Paris? 

      For further details of activities organised in Paris, visit the following websites, or pick up a copy of specialised publications sold at newsstands, such as Time Out, Fooding, L’officiel des spectacles…
      - quefaire.paris.fr
      - www.parisinfo.com
      - www.tripadvisor.fr/Attractions-g187147-Activities-Paris_Ile_de_France.html
      - www.sortiraparis.com
      - www.paris-friendly.fr

    • How can I expand my network? 

      As a student at an international school, you won’t be short of opportunities to meet other students and industry professionals from diverse backgrounds.
      Paris also has countless associations where you can pursue new interests or develop your passions, particularly in the fields of culture, the arts and Franco-foreign friendship.

    • What do I need to bring on my first day of class?

      You will need your professional shoes.
      Professional shoes are not included in the tuition fees. 

    • What should I expect on orientation day?

      On the first day of term, you will: visit the institute, try on the uniform, receive your uniform and equipment, and carry out administrative checks. Banks, French insurance companies, and accommodation partners will also be present. 

    • Can my family come to orientation day?

      Your family is not authorised to accompany you on the first day of term, but they can wait for you in Le Café.

Careers and Employment

Le Cordon Bleu Diplomas are recognised around the globe and offer a wide range of career opportunities in the restaurant, hotel management, food & beverage, hospitality, sales and marketing, nutrition, human resources, and finance sectors.

Request information: