The Boulangerie Diploma is divided into two levels: Basic and Advanced. A certificate is awarded for each level after successful completion of the practical exams. Students, having successfully completed their internship, will also be awarded the Diplôme de Boulangerie by the Fondation Internationale Le Cordon Bleu.
Basic Bread Baking Certificate (120hours)
- Function of ingredients including flour technology, yeasts, grains, sugar, salt, milk powder, malt, gluten powder.
- Acquire knowledge by working with the different types of flour used in France
- Acquire different manual techniques of dough kneading as well as dough kneading methods using machines
- Introduction to regional breads including couronne bordelaise.
- Mixing and kneading techniques by hand and machine.
- Learn classic façonnage techniques including boulage and tressage.
- Typical/traditional French bread recipes – e.g. baguette tradition, bread shaped like an ear of wheat, fougasse.
- Speciality French breads - rye, wholewheat, multigrain, etc.
- Different types of fermentation (including poolish, fermented dough) and baking processes.
- Viennoiseries - including croissant, brioche, milk bread, couque, etc.
- Decorative bread techniques - pâte morte, surprise bread.
- Develop bake-house organization skills
Advanced Bread Baking Certificate (120hours)
Prerequisite: Basic Bread Baking
- Learn the cultivation of leaven, liquid leaven and feeder schedule
- Autolyse technique
- Poolish technique for all categories of bakery
- Bassinage technique
- Use of Machines
- Improve basic techniques of weighing, shaping, and placing in the oven
- Make different variations of the traditional baguettes
- Learn to use various flours including buckwheat, rye, multigrain, etc.
- Acquire knowledge in different types of tourage
- Regional viennoiserie (both sweet and savory)
- Working dough by adding French regional products
- Making snack breads
- Acquire baking techniques knowledge by using moulds
- How to make decorative bread pieces
- Learn to plan and prepare bread buffets
- Establish personal bake-house organization skills with team work