Course learning outcomes may be assessed via submission of a range of assessment tasks including problem-solving exercises, online tests and examinations, reports, research assignments and group projects.
1. Accounting Principles and Practice:
The purpose of this unit is to introduce accounting concepts and skills to enable students to interpret financial reports and apply budgeting processes.
- The Basic Account Concepts
- Accounts and the Accounting Equation
- Double Entry Accounting
- End of Period Adjustments
- The Profit and Loss Statement
- The Balance Sheet
- Interpretation of Financial Statements
- Budgeting and Cost Control
2. Human Resources Management:
The purpose of this unit is to introduce students to the key principles, concepts, knowledge and skills required to manage human resources within a hospitality context.
- Human Resource Management: Strategic Overview
- Human Resource Planning and Job Analysis
- Recruitment: Effective Selection of Staff
- Equal Employment Opportunity
- Training and Development
- Appraising and Improving Work Performance
- Employee Reward Systems
- Employment Law
- Productivity, Quality of Work Life and 'The Bottom Line'
- Human Resource Trends and the Future of Strategic Human Resources Management
3. Management Concepts:
The purpose of this unit is to introduce and contextualise management concepts and theories using practical examples drawn from hospitality sectors.
- The Competing Values Approach to Management
- Creating and Sustaining Commitment and Cohesion: The Human Relations Model
- Establishing and Maintaining Stability and Continuity
- Organisational Structure and Design
- Improving Productivity and Increasing Profitability Rational Goal Model
- Factors Shaping Organisations
- The Open Systems Model - Promoting Change and Encouraging Adaptability
- Integration and the Road to Mastery
4. Introduction to Marketing:
The purpose of this unit is to introduce students to socially responsible approaches to customer centred marketing operations within the international hospitality industry.
- Introduction to Marketing in the Hospitality Industry
- The Marketing Environment
- Consumer Behaviour
- Marketing Planning (Market Segmentation, Target Marketing)
- The Marketing Mix (The Product and Service Lifecycle)
- The Marketing Mix (Products and Pricing)
- The Marketing Mix (Position and Promotion)
- Integrated Marketing Communication Strategies
- eCommerce and Digital Marketing