The Honours Bachelor of Integrated Food Sciences, the first of its kind in Canada, is an innovative multidisciplinary program delivered jointly by the University of Ottawa and Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa. The program will prepare future graduates to take on leadership roles in any industry where food innovation plays a key role, including healthcare, education, hospitality, business, or research and development. Graduates of this program will have a broad, comprehensive understanding of food and nutrition-related practices and will be equipped to provide strategic leadership and operational guidance in commercial settings.
Expertise that makes you stand out
The Honours Bachelor of Integrated Food Sciences diploma recognizes both University of Ottawa and Le Cordon Bleu studies. During this 3-year Bachelor program, unique in Canada, students will develop critical thinking abilities around issues related to food and nutrition sciences, food safety, customer/client relationships, culinary management and food business management. The School of Nutrition Sciences and Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa worked together to create an innovative curriculum including culinary art courses to be taught by world-renowned chef lecturers. Culinary techniques, menu planning, food service administration and management, and gastronomy will complement the science and management education that form part of the degree program.
For over 125 years, Le Cordon Bleu has been teaching classic French culinary technique to students of all nationalities around the globe. Culinary training for BIFS students will take place in professionally equipped teaching kitchens where world-class chef instructors will provide hands on practical guidance. The Le Cordon Bleu professional knife kit and uniform are included in tuition fees.
Great experience through practicum placement
The program concludes with a practicum placement in Integrated Food Sciences in the final semester, which will give students an opportunity to explore and develop experience in a professional environment. Students will apply theory learned in courses, work with industry professionals outside the University, engage with Le Cordon Bleu Alumni and develop a professional international network to help launch their career.
Two world renowned schools, one comprehensive program
With the changing role of food in today’s society, there is a range of opportunities outside the customary role of chef, nutritionist or restaurant owner. Food specialists educated in food science, nutrition, culinary techniques, management, innovation and client services are in greater demand in industries from commercial food services to manufacturing. Le Cordon Bleu and University of Ottawa have designed this program so graduates will be well positioned to manage and lead in any industry where food plays a role.
The cherry on top: newly admitted students will receive $23,000 in scholarships! Here is the breakdown:
- For 2022-2023, students admitted to the program will receive a $10,000 admission scholarship. This scholarship will be applied towards their tuition fees.
- For their second year (2023-2024), students will receive a $8,000 scholarship
- For their third and final year (2024-2025), students will receive a $5,000 scholarship
- The Faculty of Health Sciences offers exceptional practicum and career placement opportunities, and is located close to government, industry leaders and a vast hospital network.
- Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa Culinary Arts Institute is the only Le Cordon Bleu campus in Canada and U.S.A.
- The University of Ottawa ranks among the top 1% universities in the world and is among the best 10 universities in Canada.
- University of Ottawa main campus is right in downtown Ottawa, near the Byward Market and 15 min walk from Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa.
- Ottawa ranks 1st among Canadian cities for quality of life.