In this series of videos, our Chefs are sharing some of the classic French techniques we teach to more than 20,000 students on our programmes around the world each year. Next in the series, we show you how to turn vegetable.
Turning vegetables is a classic technique used in French cuisine. Vegetables are turned in order to form exactly the same barrel shape and size thus ensuring even cooking while being pleasing to the eye. Here Le Cordon Bleu Chefs show how to turn a courgette.
1. Trim off the ends of the courgette.
2. Cut the courgette to the desired length then cut into quarters.
3. Round off and remove the spongy middle.
4. Curve each side forming a long oval.
5. Trim off the white flesh on the sides.
6. The finished product should have three to five facets.