In this series of videos, our chefs are sharing some of the classic French techniques we teach to more than 20,000 students on our programmes around the world each year. In the below video we show you how to turn vegetables.
Turning vegetables is a classic French technique used in a variety of international cuisines. Vegetables are turned in order to form exactly the same barrel shape and size thus ensuring even cooking while being pleasing to the eye. Here Le Cordon Bleu Master Chefs show how to turn a courgette.
Chef’s tip: Turned vegetables must be peeled and trimmed but following the correct technique will ensure minimal waste. Use the leftover trimmings to make soups and purées.
1. Trim off the ends of the courgette.
2. Cut the courgette to the desired length then cut into quarters.
3. Round off and remove the spongy middle.
4. Curve each side forming a long oval.
5. Trim off the white flesh on the sides.
6. The finished product should have three to five facets.