Basic Bakery Certificate : 120 hours
The Basic Boulangerie certificate is designed to give students a strong foundation on which to build their bakery skills and knowledge.
Demonstrate basic bakery preparations and techniques including:
- Ingredient functionality including flour technology, yeasts, grains, sugar, salt, milk powder, malt, gluten powder.
- Introduction to regional breads including couronne bordelaise.
- Mixing and kneading techniques by hand and machine.
- Classic façonnage techniques including boulage and tressage.
- Typical/traditional French breads – e.g. baguette tradition, bread shaped like an ear of wheat, fougasse.
- Special French breads including rye bread, wholewheat bread.
- Different types of fermentation (including poolish, fermented dough) and baking processes.
- Viennoiseries - including croissant, brioche, milk bread, couque, etc.
- Decorative bread techniques - pâte morte, surprise bread.
- Follow health, safety and hygiene regulations.
- Develop bake-house organization skills