Introduction to Grapes of the World - Grenache
This introduction to grapes of the world is designed for both food & beverage enthusiasts and culinary professionals looking to improve their beverage knowledge and acquire the keys to differentiate between wines of the same grape variety. The course is structured in a series of evenings, each focusing on one grape variety. For each grape variety, participants will taste an array of wines and be able to distinguish how climate, soil, viticulture, winemaking and maturation influence the style and flavors of each wine.
On the Agenda:
Lecture followed by Wine tasting
- Languedoc dry and fortified Garnacha from Priorat and Spain
- The Wines:
- Pegaso Barrancos De Pizarra 2010 by Telmo Rodrigez. Castilla y Leon, Spain
- I Fiori Cannonao di Sardinia 2014, Italy
- Two Hands Aerope Grenache 2009, Barossa, Australia
- Baigorri Garnacha 2010, Rioja, Spain
- Gigondas Le Plan Classic, 2012 by Dirk Vermeersch, Southern Rhône, France
- Eperosa Stonegarden Grenache (1858 Vines) Eden Valley, Australia
- Maury Terres de Fagayra 2013, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
Objectives: By the end of this course, participants will be able to
1. Develop analytic tasting skills to appreciate a wide variety of varietal wines.
2. Appreciate the flavor profiles of key varietal wines.
3. Recognize the factors influencing the style and quality of varietal wines. (Climate, soils, viticulture, winemaking and maturation)
Date: Wednesday 9 May 2018
Time: 18:00 - 20:00 Hrs.
Duration: 2 Hours
Language: All workshops are conducted in English
No. of Participants: 12
Pre-Requisites: Participants must be 20 years old or more on the first day of class