Founded in Paris in 1895, Le Cordon Bleu is considered today the largest network of culinary and hospitality schools in the world with more than 35 institutes in 22 countries and 20,000 students of over 100 nationalities are trained every year.
Since 2016, in a joint-venture with National Kaohsiung University of Hospitality and Tourism, the leading public university specialized in hospitality and tourism. Le Cordon Bleu Kaohsiung campus offers French cuisine and patisserie diploma that are the same quality as Le Cordon Bleu schools in worldwide.
The position of translator/Interpreter is for the purpose of attending a wide variety of cooking demonstration classes, workshops, meetings and events and providing technical and non-technical oral interpretation and/or written translation work from source language into target language or vice-versa (e.g. English to Mandarin) with speed, accuracy and correct pronunciation for the assigned tasks; documents and class/event activities. In addition, there are some activities required by this job include the ability to serve as a resource to staff and visitors requiring assistance with non-English speaking persons.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide real-time interpreting for Chef Instructors in our culinary demonstration classes – from English to Mandarin - and to control the camera and audio visual system.
- Generally the job requires 50% sitting, 10% walking, and 40% standing. This job is mainly performed in classroom environment.
- Serve as interpreter for special workshops, school activities and events.
- Responsible for translating educational documents, proof-reading/editing translations/documents and providing feedbacks. Expect to work to an average daily output of at least 800 words.
- Help Chef Instructors keeping student attendance in classroom, administrative records & prepare required reports.
- Serve as a liaison between the students who are Mandarin or hard of English speaking, staff and Instructor members.
- Retain and develop knowledge on specialist areas of culinary terms and translation.
- Undertake any duties as assigned and/or reasonable requests, as deemed necessary by Executive Director and the management team.
- Maintain professional appearance and behavior when in contact with prospects, guests, students and associates.
- Coordinating with other departments and making sure that the works/tasks’ instructions are being followed properly.
- Additional duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in English Communication or Translation and/or Interpreting or related field and/or completing an interpreting certificate programme.
- Hospitality related subjects with proof of TOECI above 800 or equivalent certification.
- Minimum of 1-2 year of demonstrated professional translation/interpretation experience.
- Experience working in interpretation positions.
- Experience in the international education sector and a similar role an advantage.
- Specialist knowledge, particularly in culinary and wine areas may be helpful.
Personal Attributes and Interpersonal Skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and experience of dealing directly with a wide variety of people.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal communication.
- Exceptional administrative functions and maintaining accurate records, and attention to details.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programmes; Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances and operate equipment in classroom using cameras and audio visual system.
- Time-management skills; effective management skills in organizing and prioritizing works.
- Interpersonal skills, and self-confidence.
- Confident in speaking in public. Self-discipline with the capacity to work consistently and under pressure to fit into a multicultural working environment.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
If you are interested, please email the resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com