A range of private rental properties is available through Perth real estate agents and other agencies. These include units, flats, houses, apartments and townhouses.
It is important to note the following when making a decision about renting a property:
- Rental properties can only be secured once you are in Australia. You may be requested to provide references as evidence that you are a responsible and reliable renter.
- The price of rental properties depends on the location, style of property, amenities, condition etc.
- Reputable real estate agents will be members of the Real Estate Institute of Western Australia
- All agents will require you to pay a bond as part of the rental agreement. This is usually the equivalent of four weeks rent. This is in addition to paying at least two to four weeks rent in advance.
- We recommend that you try to look in areas that have easy access to public transport. Public transports details are available at http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/
- You will find that a ‘Perth, Western Australia Street Directory’ is a very useful source of information about areas in and around Northbridge and Perth generally. Directories can be obtained from any newsagency or bookshop. You can also use Google Maps https://www.google.com.au/maps/.
- While your landlord is responsible for insuring buildings and contents provided as part of the rental agreement, you are responsible for insuring your personal effects e.g. computers, TVs, cameras, phones etc. This type of insurance cover is called Renters’ Insurance and typically covers theft, vandalism, fire and public liability. It can cost as little as $10 - $15 per week.