BASIC BOULANGERIE CERTIFICATE
To begin their training, students familiarize themselves with the equipment used in boulangerie. After an introduction to the rules of hygiene and baking, students will:
- Learn to work with the different types of flour used in France
- Learn the different techniques for kneading dough, manually and three different mechanical kneading methods
- Make bread and viennoiseries (Danish pastries)
- Be introduced to boulangerie decoration
- Be introduced to working with doughs made with a fermented dough starter and a "poolish" (a type of pre-fermentation)
ADVANCED BOULANGERIE CERTIFICATE
Prerequisite: Basic Boulangerie Certificate Students will learn about different types of fermentation and how flavours develop in bread. Students will learn:
- How to work with liquid and solid natural leavens
- How to work with “farine de tradition” (Traditional flour as defined by French law)
- How to work with puff pastry
- How to make baguettes, brioches, croissants, beignets (fritters and doughnuts), turnovers and derivative products
After successful completion of Basic and Advanced Boulangerie, students are required to carry out a 2-month internship in a boulangerie related business in France.
In order to make the most out of this internship experience, students must speak and understand French.