The Fête du Pain is not only one of the most important events of the year, celebrating a product which is part and parcel of every French person’s daily meals, but also a week dedicated to trades with a longstanding history: Baking and Pastry.
The guests of honour for the 21st Fête du Pain, which will take place from 21 to 29 May, are Alsatian bakers. Fun and conviviality are on the menu, with events taking place throughout France, in bakeries, schools and village and town squares. On the agenda: giant bakehouses, exhibitions, meetings, discoveries and tastings for the delight of gourmets and those who are keen to learn, both big and small.
On Saturday 21 May 2016, in the square in front of Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral, you will find a whole range of traditional regional breads, but also new and artistic creations.
Chef Olivier Boudot will be present and will represent Le Cordon Bleu on the jury judging the “French tradition” baguette regional competition for Paris and the 92, 93 and 94 departments. He will also take part in the event’s web radio and talk on the theme “Paris capital of gastronomy, traditional baguette, symbol of French gastronomy”. Make a date for 11.35am to listen to what he has to say!
On the agenda in Paris:
- Saturday 21 May: inauguration by the Mayor of Paris, Mrs. Anne Hidalgo, and “French tradition” baguette regional competition for Paris and the 92, 93 and 94 departments.
- Sunday 22 May: “French tradition” baguette regional competition for the 77, 78, 91 and 95 departments.
- Monday 23 May: announcement of the results for the best PDO butter croissant from the Ile-de-France region.
- Wednesday 25 May: final of the “French tradition” baguette national competition.
- Thursday 26 May: a giant crémantaise will be made with profits going to the “Pièces Jaunes” initiative.
- Sunday 29 May at 6.30pm: bakers’ mass at Notre-Dame de Paris cathedral.
Further information on the event on the official website: http://fetedupain.com
Further information on the activities in France: http://fetedupain.com/carte-france-drom-com