Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 litre / 1 quart whole milk
- 250 ml / 1 cup heavy cream
- 120 g / 4 oz. dark chocolate (70%)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1. Place the milk and cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and slowly bring to a boil.
2. Chop up the dark chocolate, and add to the hot liquid along with the cinnamon, peppercorn and sugar. Allow to gently heat for 10 minutes while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon.
3.Strain the hot chocolate through a fine sieve, and divide among six warmed cups.Serve immediately with a marshmallow, if desired.
Chef’s tip:for a deep chocolate flavor, make the mixture ahead a time, allow to cool and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.Gently reheat before serving.