Le Cordon Bleu News, 09/19/2008
Seared Scallops with Fennel and Tomato Salsa
Preparation time: 30 minutes
10g Cajun Spices
Fennel and tomato salsa:
4 Plum Tomatoes
2 Fennel Bulbs
Bunch (10g) Dill, Chopped
Pinch Black Onion Seeds
Juice of 1 lemon
15ml Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1. Prepare the scallops, and lightly season them with the Cajun spices.
2. Fennel and tomato salsa: Blanch, peel and seed the tomatoes, dice the flesh, and reserve. Dice the fennel. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and add the saffron and fennel dice. Blanch and drain.
3. Mix the diced tomato and blanched fennel dice with the chopped dill, black onion seeds, lemon juice and olive oil, and season to taste.
4. Heat a little olive oil in a pan and sear the scallops on either side until golden brown and just cooked.
5. To serve: Arrange 2 scallops per plate and spoon around a little fennel and tomato salsa.