COM03422 Food & Wine Writing
This unit develops your knowledge of and skills in food and wine writing. You will critically examine food and wine writing examples as models. This is done alongside reading of narrative theory. Exercises in the basic creative-writing strategies initiate your own practice, while the discussions of narrative theory underpin your practical application. The examination of genres in food and wine writing—such as fiction and creative nonfiction, or reviews and feature articles—demonstrates the range available for particular publishing contexts. Opportunities for publication available in a variety of media—for example, print or audio—are explored through matching writing strategies to the medium. The unit concludes with a consideration of the professional writer’s practice in the publishing industry.
Topic 1: Genre and food and wine writing
Topic 2: Creative-writing strategies: rehearsal
Topic 3: Varied genres
Topic 4: Varied media
Topic 5: Research skills and scholarly practice
Topic 6: Publishing
- differentiate between various food and wine writing genres
- critically analyse specific forms of food and wine writing
- write within the specific conventions of a chosen genre or media practice in the context of food and/or wine writing
- demonstrate skills in re-writing and self-editing for successful publication
- Apply appropriate research methods and skills for writing in specific food and wine contexts.