Initiation Cuisine Certificate : 129 hours
This course introduces students to fundamental cooking techniques in cuisine. With a strong importance placed on fundamentals such as hygiene, preparation and work flow, students learn to master the basics including how to hold a knife properly, cutting techniques and elementary methods of cooking.
Demonstrate fundamental basic cuisine preparation and cooking techniques including
- Knife Skills.
- Basic Classical vegetable cuts.
- Elementary butchery and fish filleting skills.
- Basic stocks and derivatives.
- Basic soups including bisque, consommé, clarifications.
- Elementary sauces and emulsions.
- Basic doughs (pasta, short crust, puff pastry) and techniques.
- Elementary egg techniques including omelette, poached, scrambled and soufflé.
- Introduction to plating presentation.
- Elementary method of cooking; eg. Baising, boiling, pan frying, poaching, sauuteeing, roasting, ragout, grilling.
- Identify French culinary terms.
- Follow health & hygiene regulations.
- Develop personal kitchen organization and management skills.