Basic Pastry Certificate : 120 hours
This course is designed to provide students with a strong foundation on which to build their pâtisserie skills and knowledge. Students will be introduced to the key ingredients used in pâtisserie and progressively learn various combinations, properties and applications which are essential for working in the industry.
Demonstrate basic patisserie preparations and baking techniques including:
- Knife skills.
- Piping techniques.
- Palette knife techniques.
- Rolling pin techniques.
- Fabricate basic ingredients eg praline, fondant, syrup.
- Elementary sugar cooking techniques.
- Tart production techniques.
- Basic pastry doughs eg. short crust, shortbread, choux and puff pastry.
- Basic yeast work.
- Basic ice-cream and sorbet.
- Basic entremets skills.
- Basic pastry creams.
- Elementary chocolate techniques.
- Marzipan shaping techniques.
- Identify basic French Pâtisserie terms.
- Follow health safety and hygiene regulations.
- Develop personal kitchen organization and management skills.